Tuesday, May 1, 2012

(sounds like dirt xvi) i still can't remember how or where i lost my way


he came dancing across the water
with his galleons and guns
looking for the new world
in that palace in the sun.

on the shore lay montezuma
with his coca leaves and pearls
in his halls he often wondered
with the secrets of the world.

and his subjects
gathered 'round him
like the leaves around a tree
in their clothes of many colors
for the angry gods to see.

and the women all were beautiful
and the men stood
straight and strong
they offered life in sacrifice
so that others could go on.

hate was just a legend
war was never known
the people worked together
and they lifted many stones.

they carried them
to the flatlands
and they died along the way
but they built up
with their bare hands
what we still can't do today.

and i know she's living there
and she loves me to this day
i still can't remember how
or where i lost my way.

he came dancing across the water
cortez, cortez
what a killer.

4 comments:

the art of memory said...

"sounds like dirt" are all love songs by the way

Anonymous said...

really liked the Built to Spill version of this

the art of memory said...

very heavy guitar

Anonymous said...

right, I honestly haven't heard it in years but I remember rocking out heavily. I bet it'd be a bit too wall-of-sound for my tastes now.